We’ve all seen them – those mesmerizing time-lapse videos on social media showing off a quick, easy and mouth-watering recipe. I’ve been saving them for a while trying to decide which I would try first for a new feature on à la Claude. I’ll make these online temptations (along with the usual array of photos) and let you know my thoughts on the recipe, taste and overall impression.
The first recipe under the microscope is Garlic Sticky Chicken Bites. Panko-breaded chicken breast cubes are baked while a soya sauce, garlic, honey & ginger sauce simmers away on the stove. Looks very promising.
After a quick dinner tonight, I thought I would tackle this quick recipe. Preparing the protein is pretty simple – cut to cubes followed by a sprinkling of salt & pepper, dunked into beaten egg and dredged with panko. That part done in no time at all. Pop them into the oven and now to focus on the sauce.
Let’s not kid ourselves here – the garlic sticky sauce is (or rather should be) the star of this show. The chicken and panko are great as a blank canvas providing a bit of texture without overpowering flavours to compete with the star of the plate. A quick measure of soya sauce and a few other ingredients into a saucepan and we’re done. I might suggest in the next go-around to cut the hoisin in half and crank up the honey. The dark sauce from this attempt was far from sticky! A teaspoon or so of sesame oil would also amp up the flavour of the salty sauce and add a layer of complexity. This is definitely the time to dig into your cupboard for that low-sodium soya sauce and MSG-Free hoisin! Otherwise you’ll be working on your second glass of water before you’ve finished your fourth chicken bite. I think it is time for me to replace my bottle of Sriracha sauce as well. It has darkened in colour over the past few months and isn’t nearly the vibrant red it should be.
I can see this recipe inspiring some snacks when needing a quick bite with friends over. Most ingredients are kitchen staples or items you can stock in your freezer. The green onions and sesame seeds keep it fresh and light. Served with toothpicks on a bed of shaved cabbage would be perfect for an appetizer party.
Now – what other food porn is lurking out there ready to tempt us? Let me know what you’ve tried from social media!
Garlic Sticky Chicken Bites
- This could easily be made with boneless chicken thighs instead of breasts for the price-conscious shopper. The bites are nice as boneless pieces so you should avoid bone-in chicken for this one.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 egg, beaten
- 100g panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- Spring onions (garnish)
- Sesame seeds (garnish)
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Cut the chicken breasts into small bite-size pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- Dip chicken pieces into egg mixture then coat with panko. Bake 20 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Mix together soy sauce, honey, garlic, hoisin sauce, sriracha and grated ginger in a saucepan and bring to boil, remove from heat.
- Toss chicken bites in sauce until thoroughly coated. Serve immediately with chopped spring onion and sesame seeds