We’ve all heard the old adage of ‘Breakfast is the most important meal of the day’. I stand completely behind this idea but what you eat for breakfast is equally important. There is little as fulfilling in the morning as a bowl of crunchy or chewy granola. Either sprinkled over a bowl of yoghurt or with a bit of milk, a granola breakfast will keep you full and satisfied well beyond the sugar-laced items found in the cereal aisle of the grocery store.
Over the past several months, I have been on a journey – to find and perfect a host of granola recipes. This is the first in what will be a series of granola and breakfast posts. So, the next time you have a few overripe bananas, instead of reaching for the banana bread recipe or tossing them into the freezer, reach for the rolled oats, walnuts and make this delicious and nutritious granola. You will be glad every morning as you pop open the granola tin.
Banana Walnut Granola
- 5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup each flax and sesame seeds
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup mashed bananas, about 2 medium
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a large bowl combine oats, walnuts, flax seeds, sesame seeds, shredded coconut, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Heat the coconut oil and bananas in a small saucepan, stirring constantly until coconut oil is melted and bananas well integrated. Add banana mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
- Spread on a large, lined jelly roll pan.
- Bake for 60-75 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, until deep golden brown.
- Let cool completely then store in an airtight container.
Looks great! Can’t wait to see your other breakfast recipes. Would one of possibly be (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE) the Dr. Oetker peach cake you make us once that looked like eggs?
Hmmmm…. I think that German delight can make an appearance on à la Claude
I’ve never made granola! I had to read the method to understand how ripe bananas made it into this version and you may have guessed it but its worth saying I love the coconut oil banana mash up. Delightful dining often begins with a surprise. Bon appétit!