Fennel is fun. If you haven’t tried it you simply must. Its unique flavour is bright on the palate and this relish gives it a zesty pop that enhances whatever you serve it with.
2 medium fennel bulbs (approximately 2 pounds)
1 small yellow onion
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 tablespoon fennel seeds, roughly cracked
1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1/4 cup roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
- Prepare a boiling water bath canner and 4 pint jars. Place lids in a small saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Shred the fennel in a food processor or on a box grater.
- Finely mince onion (a food processor is easiest, but you can also do it with a knife).
- Combine grated fennel, minced onion, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard seeds, salt, fennel seeds, red chili flakes, and black pepper in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Cook the relish at a boil for 2 to 3 minutes, until the liquid has reduced some.
- Add lemon zest, juice, and parsley and stir to combine.
- Remove relish from the heat and funnel it into prepared jars, leaving approximately 1/4 inch headspace.
- Bubble jars well. Wipe rims, apply lids and rings, and process jars in a boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.